Monday, August 27, 2012

My addiction to F.R.I.E.N.D.S


It's 1 AM and I just finished watching the first episode of Season 5 of Friends. After watching five episodes back to back, I had to force myself to stop. I could just go on and never stop...

A few years ago, F.R.I.E.N.D.S was one of those shows which all my friends watched and I didn’t . I did watch a few episodes here and there, but was never addicted to it. How I wish I was!

‘Friends’ has become my new addiction. In spite of watching not less than six episodes a day, I still crave for more. With every episode the excitement just doubles and the addiction gets worse.
When compared to all the other shows that I watch, ‘Friends’ definitely holds a special place. Here are the reasons-

1.The simplicity of the plot: Six characters, two apartments and a coffee shop. It definitely is not a piece of cake to make the everyday lives of six ordinary people this interesting. Every episode starts with a monotonous everyday activity like breakfast together, watching TV or simply ‘hanging out’ together. After you watch three to four episodes of F.R.I.E.N.D.S , you crave to have a ‘central perk’ right below your apartment or you want friends like Joey and Monica. It definitely is a task to write about mundane things like getting a duck as a pet, going for an audition or just having coffee. The bottom-line is that the simplicity of the plot simply makes the show more enjoyable.

2.The Characters: Writing a show with one protagonist is difficult. Imagine writing a show with six protagonists. I wonder how the writers pulled it off. Each character is so neatly sketched out. None of the characters are similar to each other in any way, be it in profession or in personality. It’s amazing to see equal importance given to all six characters. The characters are so defined that an independent show can be produced with each of them.

I realised that I am addicted to the show when I started looking beyond the show. I started reading about the show, I wanted to know more about the characters, I watched bloopers on youtube. I couldn’t get enough of it. I started to look at things the way Joey or Phoebe would. Being a cleanliness freak myself, I could totally connect to Monica. I wanted to crack witty jokes like Chandler. I started relating everyday events to instances on the show.

Ah! I am addicted. I wonder what will happen once I finish all ten seasons.

This post is for all those people who love this show 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this for me then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madhura i loved the way you have written about the show. Its true when we watch it we wish we had friends like the characters and the coffee shop.I absolutely love FRIENDS...You really get addicted to it... I used to watch it nonstop day and night until my mom used to yell at me to stop and go to sleep...All of them are crazy in their own way....That is what makes it so funny and warm.FRIENDS is one show, when i was watching the last episode I was sad, and was hoping there was more....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The show is one of the rare American sitcoms that have achieved the 'evergreen' status...even I was re-watching episodes of Friends a few days back in NEHU. The sitcom was so amazingly written, its difficult not to connect to the characters... :) Ive seen each episode almost 19 times, and know most of the dialogues by heart! hehe...i actually cried watching the series finale of Friends....its a brilliant ending to an amazing show! :)

    Once you're done with this, try 'Happy Endings'...inspired from Friends, and doing amazingly well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yes, I think another amazing thing about the writers was how they incorporated the pregnancy of Lisa Kudrow into the plotline...other sitcoms/dramas simply postpone the shows (30 Rock, HIMYM, etc), but Friends continued with the show, giving Phoebe the triplets! :) this pic you have posted is of the series finale...and Courtney Cox was pregnant then, so they made her wear baggy outfits in the last season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am completely addicted to FRIENDS as well. I have watched every episode so many times, i have lost count. Except for the last few episodes of the final season, simply because i am scared that it will end. So, every time i get close to the last few episodes of the 10th season, i just start all over again. Now i just watch random episodes from random seasons, but still i have not once opened the 10th season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i suggest you watch the last season! its beautifully done! The ending leaves you happy for all the characters! :)

      Delete